Dutch as a second language
The Rotterdamse Volksuniversiteit offers a wide range of courses Dutch as a second language, ranging from courses for absolute beginners to courses on an advanced and even on an academic level. Our courses Dutch as a second language aim for the State Examination I and II, which includes a section for the Civic Integration Exams.
In all our courses:
- From the first lesson on the language of communication is Dutch.
- The average homework load is about 3 – 4 hours a week.
- The classes are taught in groups of average 12-15 students.
- Next to the classes there is a digitally support system.
- At all levels the courses conclude with an official TOA-test in 4 competencies; reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- The results of the test are decisive to enroll to a course on the next level.
Determine your level, enroll and start
Our NT2 courses are categorize at 8 levels: A1, A2, A2+, B1, B1+, B2, B2+ and C1. These levels correspond according the common European Framework of Reference (EFR). You may enroll at any level but you have to assess your level first.
How to assess your level:
Visit the Volksuniversiteit during opening hours at the Heemraadssingel 275-277 Rotterdam. An appointment is not necessary but keep in mind that the test takes approximately 2 hours and costs €7,50.
- At the front desk you get the teaching books used in the course. Consulting the books you asses your level of proficiency in Dutch.
- You enroll in a course at the estimated level
- Subsequently you take the digital test at one of our computers. A teacher will check your results. This might take a few days.
- When the results of the test correspond to your level of enrollment, you will receive an invitation for the first class of the course you are enrolled for.
- If the test results differ from the level you have enrolled in, we will contact you and advise you on a course on a more suitable level.
Learning Dutch for the Civic Integration Exam and the State Exams 1 and 2
There are national exams at 3 levels:
- The compulsory Civic Integration Exam is on level A2.
- The State Exam I is at Level B1
- the State Exam II is on level B2.
All exams test on listening, reading, writing and speaking.
We offer separate courses in Knowledge of Dutch Society (Kennis van de Nederlandse Maatschappij (KNM)) and Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market (Oriëntatie op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt (ONA)).
If you pass the Civic Integration Exam including KNM and ONA you may apply for Dutch citizenship. The State Exam I prepare you for the Dutch educational system on practical level. The State Exam II, prepare you almost on university level.
Civic integration Courses
To enroll for the Civic Integration Exam you need to master the Dutch on A2 level. We offer courses focusing on the needs of the Civic Integration exanimation. These courses are combined with modules for Knowledge of Dutch Society (Kennis van de Nederlandse Maatschappij (KNM)) and Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market (Oriëntatie op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt (ONA)).
Requirements for all our Courses Dutch as a second language (NT2).
- The participant must have finished secondary education
- The participant must master the Latin alphabet
Blik op werk-keurmerk: Obtain a loan at DUO
For people who have an official status as a refugee can obtain a loan from the Dutch government to cover the costs of the Civic Integration course and the State Exams course.
See under Nederlands for inburgering